Thursday, September 11, 2008

So true it's not even funny... ok, it's still funny.

As most of you know, Jason and I met because I happen to love the Sports Guy on ESPN.com. His columns rule, and I was actually googling some stats for a letter I was writing said sports lover when I stumbled across Jason's blog in July of 2006... we just celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary Monday so you can figure that one out!

Anyway, as a devoted Sports Guy fan I was excited to read this week's mailbag where he responds to readers' e-mail. I love Tom Brady- and have since his first season when they won the superbowl and rocked my world!- but Seattle is my sports town. I happen to love this particular letter:

Q: Brady's out. That really sucks. But it could be worse -- you could be a Seattle sports fan. Let me break it down for you: The Mariners are struggling through one of their worst seasons ever. Our Sonics, the only team to win a professional title in Seattle, moved the team to Okla-friggin-homa and stuck us with the Storm. And the Seahawks -- in Holmgren's final year, mind you -- are now without their TOP FOUR RECEIVERS! Imagine losing Moss, Welker, Gaffney AND Kelley Washington. Plus our quarterback is having back problems (including rumors of bulging discs), and our best running back left last week's game with an injury. Of course, a 6-10 record might win our division, which means we get to lose in Round 1. Oh, and the travesty that was the excessive celebration call on Washington's Jake Locker. But on the bright side … well, I give up. Be thankful you don't live in Seattle.
-- Dan Gomez, Seattle


SG: I have to say, that made me feel a little better. Maybe the good people of Seattle should form an organization called "It Could Be Worse," in which they send e-mails to suddenly traumatized sports fans from other cities to talk them off the ledge.


To the Sports Guy, aka Bill Simmons: that's actually a very good idea. We Seattle sports fans are professionals in handling torture and trauma at the hands of our local teams (not to mention referees: don't even get me STARTED on that one... the 2005 Suberbowl will forever be the single worst day of my sports life) so perhaps our grief would best served to comfort others.